December 23, 2012
That right there is a tower of holiday cookie deeeeeliciousness!
Along with a lightly spicy rum flavor the baked cookie ends up with a wonderful freckled coloring and a slightly crunchy texture since the powdered mix doesn’t fully dissolve into the dough.
This is serious goodness!
All it takes is a powdered Hot Buttered Rum mix, and a little rum and butter flavoring. I stumbled across the Hot Buttered Rum mix at Safeway but if you’re not able to find any nearby, make your own by adding in 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 pinches ground cloves, and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest.
And remember, don’t drink and drive this holiday season!
And if you must drive, eat Hot Buttered Rum cookies instead.
Hot Buttered Rum Cookies
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 packet (or 2 ounces) of powdered Hot Buttered Rum Mix
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons rum flavoring
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
4 – 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
…..Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and hot buttered rum mix in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugars together.
3. Add in the eggs and extracts, beating until well-blended.
4. Add in the dry ingredients one cup at a time until the dough is fully incorporated.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured surface to the desired thickness. Place the cut cookies onto a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet and bake on the center rack of the oven for 8-12 minutes. Baking time will be determined by the thickness and overall dimension of cookies.
6. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet before moving to cooling rack.